In this spooktacular edition of Hungry Dads Podcast, Rod reveals his best practices for covertly sneaking extra Halloween candy. Then, Hugh tells a scary story: “The Walking Dad” Finally, Rod bounces some rapid-fire Halloween related questions off Hugh, and the results are quite compelling.
(00:43) Halloween Snacking Strategies – It’s Halloween and Rod offers up six potential strategies for maximizing your candy intake on the big night.
- Skimming from the kids’ candy stash: A rather novice and potentially perilous tactic, Rod suggests avoiding this route unless you’re in a pinch. Hugh, on the other hand, thinks stealing his kids’ candy is actually a service, especially while the kiddos are still young and can’t yet inventory their stash.
- Stealing from an unattended candy bucket or cauldron: We’ve all seen the unattended buckets around the neighborhood. These homeowners are too lazy to answer the door, out of town, or perhaps out trick or treating with their own kids. The candy beckons. Is it too risky for a hungry dad to steal from these? Rod tends to thinks so… Hugh DEFINITELY thinks so… or does he? Halloween is for mischief, folks… (Tune into Episode 11 to hear Rod make an actual unattended cauldron candy scoop attempt!)
- Placing a limit on the amount of candy your kids can have: And the rest is yours!!! Or is it???
- Slowly eating some of the store bought candy for “handing out” before Halloween: This strategy takes self restraint. Eating half the bag of Kit-Kats will inevitably get you busted by your spouse, and maybe even the kids. Be smart, be in control, be in charge of the Halloween candy bowl, and this can be a decent supplemental strategy.
- Eating from your own candy bowl while passing out the treats: If you’re able to pull off the job of solo candy hander-outer, this is a good strategy. Pop some candy between trick-or-treat visitors, but exhibit some self control so you don’t become the loser house that runs out of candy early in the night.
- Overbuying Halloween Candy!!! (Rod’s Recommended Strategy): a) You must be in charge of buying the Halloween candy. b) Buy YOUR favorite kind of candy. c) Buy an absurd amount of candy. d) Stash away a few of the extra bags and enjoy at your own leisure.
Overall, Hugh agrees with the Halloween strategies, but will defer to the kids on this particular holiday. Don’t miss his impassioned speech!
(15:15) The Walking Dad – Hugh and the Gallon family players reenact a potentially tragic and embarrassing food-related mishap. While just a work of fiction (or is it???), it certainly makes one ponder the responsibilities of fatherhood balanced (literally) with the responsibilities of pigging out.
The Walking Dad cartoon in in production! See the color animatic below! To hear the full radio drama, listen to Episode 10!
(18:40) Halloween Hints – Rod tests Hugh’s Halloween candy knowledge in game show format. Does Hugh know his candies, or will he blow it?
(21:10) The Great Halloween Survey – In rapid-fire fashion, Rod reads 20 trick-or-treat items to Hugh, who must opine on the worthiness of each. Are candy apples a good treat, or disappointing? How about Garbage Pail Cards? Vampire Teeth? Kit Kat? Listen to find out what Hugh thinks…