In the premiere episode of Hungry Dads, Hugh battles through an injury, the guys give their thoughts on Lay’s Do Us a Flavor Contest #2, including a live taste test of the Cappuccino flavor. They also reflect on Lay’s Do Us a Flavor Contest #1, and the recent Doritos Jacked Test Flavors experiment. Are you, the consumer, confused or overwhelmed by the choices? Plus, Hugh gives some thoughts on expanding your chip horizons while traveling abroad.
(02:00) Lays 2013 Do us a Flavor Contest
Voting for his favorite was one of the few things that ever prompted Hugh to log into Facebook in order to participate. But he felt my voice needed to be heard . Quick reviews
- Chicken and Waffles – Hugh’s official vote. It seems like a gimmick flavor – and it was – but of the three, was the best UNIQUE new flavor.
- Cheesy Garlic Bread – its just cheese/ garlic flavor. Been done plenty.
- Sirracha – Mostly just heat, not allowing for a lot of flavor to come out.
Chicken and Waffles was tasty and a completely unique new flavor to be added to the pantheon of flavors. Alas, it lost to Cheesy Garlic Bread in the contest. A travesty in my mind and a sign of the electorate’s lack of forward thinking.
(04:50) Lays 2014 Do us a Flavor Contest
The Quick Reviews:
- Wavy Mango Salsa – We hoped and expected to like it more, but will finish the bag, of course. And the more we ate, the better they tasted. But we wouldn’t buy them again.
- Cheddar Bacon Mac & Cheese – Of course they were good. Solid hint of bacon, but like Cheesy Garlic Bread, its not a new taste sensation at all. In Episode 5, Rod officially, voted for Cheddar Bacon Mac and Cheese. He was looking for a long-lasting relationship in a chip and felt it has staying power.
- Kettle Cooked Wasabi Ginger – Hugh could not find them. He doesn’t like wasabi or ginger anyway so, its probably just as well.
(07:40) Cappuccino Live taste test – Hugh and Rod’s live taste test revealed a lot of crunching, notes of cinnamon, and a realization that the chips were more sweet than salty. Hugh, a coffee drinker, did not taste much coffee. Rod, not a coffee lover, tasted the coffee more distinctly. They both enjoyed Cappiccino and (unsurprisingly) declared that they would be eating the whole bag. IN the end, Hugh voted for Cappuccino as it was both unique and delicious.
(10:30) Doritos 2013 Mystery Flavors
A quote from the Dorito’s marketing machine.
“There’s nothing as bold as stepping into the unknown, and crunching into an unknown mystery chip with over-the-top flavor is one way we’re inviting fans to be bold with the Doritos brand,” explained Ram Krishnan, vice president of marketing, Frito-Lay. “Our Bold Flavor Experiment is the latest example of how we’re rewarding our fans for making bold choices — this time by trying our mystery Doritos Jacked flavors and voting for the bold flavor they like best”
Hugh’s take on this “bold” statement: I’m not being sarcastic when I say this – I fully realize that “Ram Krishann’s” (if that is a real name) quote is marketing nonsense and ridiculous human speech – BUT – I do feel kind of exclusive and uniquely passionate in my excitement for this. Krishnan’s enthusiasm is contagious in a very real way for me. Seriously, I’m not joking. I love the devotion to the brand and the “marketing speak.”
The Quick review:
Test Flavor 404 – easily the best of the three – smoky, sweet, and a note of lime at the end. (Flavor revealed: Caribbean Citrus Jerk)
Test Flavor 855 – Spicy. I like hot things, but not chips because I have to stop eating them due to burnt mouth. (Flavor revealed: Spicy Street Taco)
Test Flavor 2653 – The hardest flavor to identify (maybe because 855 scorched my taste buds) – I looked at the ingredients for a hint and immediately figured out what I was tasting. I won’t spoil it here. That said, I liked them. (Flavor revealed: Chocolate Chipotle Bacon)
(17:01) Chip Tip
When traveling, be sure to go where the locals buy food and peruse the chip selection. Whether you are abroad or just in another state, you just might find a local flavor to expand your chip horizons. Some chips Hugh brought home from Spain to share with his pal, Rod:
- Ruffles Sabor a Jamon (Flavor of Ham)
- Lays Chorizo
- Lays Roast Chicken
- Tex Mex Doritos