What happens when you combine Rod Budget, Hugh Gallon, Richard Dawson, Ray Combs, Steve Harvey with a dash of podcasting? We aren’t sure. But on this episode, the guys discuss Family Feud, its history, raciness, shortcomings, and Rod even humiliates himself by giving ridiculous answers to questions!
Just when you thought Rod and Hugh had checked out from the podcasting universe… they’re back! Well, it’s a fluid situation. High cholesterol. Game shows. Plinko. Tight wheels. Drew Carey heroism. Rat Race. Just listen… you know you missed us.
Episode 101 is shrouded in mystery:
- What is the Oreo mystery flavor that has the internet abuzz? Rod and Hugh weigh in.
- What happened to Episode 100?
- Will the guys do a much anticipated 2017 Halloween retrospective?
- If so, what about an unattended cauldron attempt by Rod?
- Battle Hymn of the Republic?
While only the shrewdest Hungry Dads fans will understand all of the points above, that’s why it’s the mystery episode. Listen to be enlightened… or confused. IT’S MYSTERY FLAVORS AND HALLOWEEN ALL IN ONE PLACE! A door-buster of an episode, to be sure.
In episode 98, the guys confront some hard questions about soda:
- Is it ever okay to scam free soda at restaurants using water cups? (Spurred by Hugh’s all-day visit to the soda fountain pictured below.)
- Does Hugh Gallon have freak appendages, or did he enlist an Ewok to point at this “no refills allowed” menu?
- Do the Scots know anything about soda, or should they stick to their specialty: The Glasgow Kiss? (The latter)
- Is organic house-made soda finally taking off and making it to the masses?
- Chubby Chubby Chubby Chubby Chubby Chubby Chubby… CHUBBY????
It’s high time someone on the internet took a good hard look at the various butter etiquette nuances out there. I mean, seriously, is it okay to use butter on a chocolate muffin? How about on a peanut butter and jelly and butter sandwich? How about for shavin’ them man whiskers?
Fortunately, Hugh and Rod have once again heroically stepped in to provide you, the Hungry Dads listener, with the indispensable “Butter Appropriateness Quiz” © Rod ranks the following butter scenarios in the order of most appropriate use of butter to the least appropriate use of butter. Feel free to rank them for yourself and see if you’re as smart as Rod!
BUTTER USE SCENARIOS IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
- Blueberry Muffin
- Movie Theater Popcorn
- On a Steak
- Peanut Butter and Jelly and Butter Sandwich
- Ham and Butter Sandwich
- In Coffee
- Chocolate Muffin
- Generously Buttering EVERY Bite of a Dinner Roll
- Pop Tart
It’s a springtime explosion, as the guys discuss two of the most important eating traditions during the season of renewal: Easter/Passover and jackfruit! Don’t tell me you don’t know jack! You don’t know jack… fruit. Listen to the episode for a rundown of Hugh’s jackfruit heroics, and click here for an even more detailed account complete with pictures and humiliations!
After a brief hiatus to enjoy the holidays (and holiday leftovers), the guys are back with a vengeance. They start the episode by recapping all of their horrible predictions (and a couple of good ones) from 2016, such as:
- Did honey break through in a big way? (no)
- Did specialty house-made sodas break through? (no)
- Did “Farm-to-Table” get watered down into a dumb marketing term? (no)
- Did the Manhattan Chick-fil-a get sabotaged by angry New Yorkers? (kind of)
- AND MANY MORE MISSED PREDICTIONS!!!!
Then, it’s for the guys to move on to their 2017 predictions. Will they fare any better this year? Only if mango becomes a huge breakout fruit success and hipsters are frying up scrapple on every Brooklyn street corner… listen to find out why!!!!
What if I told you there’s a documentary out there about an animatronic robot band that used to play at a wildly successful family pizza chain, but then they got disassembled, but then they got reassembled a decade later by a passionate and extremely dedicated fan of this particular animatronic robot band? What if I told you the name of this band was “The Rock-a-Fire Explosion”? What if I told you run-on sentences are generally acceptable on the internet like the one we use for our podcast called Hungry Dads podcast, okay?
In Episode 77, Hugh and Rod do the world a long overdue favor by analyzing and critiquing this groundbreaking documentary in podcast format. Will the Rock-a-Fire Explosion get back together for one last hurrah? Are the members even alive still? Jealousy? Affairs? Or just good old rock and roll music? Let’s find out.
In episode 76, Rod hits the streets with his giant tape recorder to follow up on some critical topics from prior episodes:
- Hugh’s GM Diet Adventure from episode 61. Rod got sick and tired of everyone else doing the fad diet thing, so he invented his own. For three days, he ate virtually no carbs, sugars, or fats. Then, the next three days, he went into complete gluttony mode by stuffing his face with soda, pizza, and other delicious offerings. He put together an audio journal of his diet, chronicled his weight fluctuations, and put him here for all to enjoy. Did Rod end up losing weight, gaining weight, or simply dying?
- Next up, Rod lugs the taper recorder to a birthday party to chronicle his misadventures in trying to obtain as much food as possible without coming off as a buffoon. Way back in Episode 5, he offered up some sage advice for maximizing birthday party eating. Was he successful? Let’s just say the Capri Sun won, and leave it at that.
- You didn’t really think Rod was going to lug the old tape recorder all over town without visiting our old friend, Ronald McDonald, did you? Rod swings by with his toddler to pick up some of the new healthier Chicken McNuggets. Listen to hear this exclusive live recording taste test review!
- Rod finally lets Hugh get in on the act, as Mr. Gallon revisits our grilling episode and updates listeners on his new found easy gas grilling lifestyle. After listening, you’ll understand why Rod is always right when it comes to the ease and clean burn of CHARCOAL.
In a groundbreaking development, Hugh and Rod stray slightly from their usual food talk, and delve into the world of TV. Why, you ask? We’re not sure, but we’ll be back to snacking food type stuff next episode.
For now, enjoy the complex breakdowns of three of the longest-running, most beloved shows on TV: The Simpsons, Saturday Night Live, and The Price is Right. What makes them so successful? Have any of them gone downhill recently, or are they still going strong? We honestly don’t have answers, but we’ll talk about some important issues such as: is the Price is Right big wheel oiled on a regular basis… like what kind of maintenance are they doing on that thing?
Many of our listeners may have played the classic social game “copulate, marry, kill” at one time or another. If not, the rules are simple: someone is given the names of three people. They must choose to ummm… copulate with one of them, marry, one of them, and kill one of them. Well, since Rod and Hugh are food obsessed (and this is a food podcast after all), they’ve altered the rules slightly to make this game more in line with their lifestyle.
The guys take turns throwing out three things from the world of food:
- One of the things can only be eaten (or used) for one more week before it’s gone forever. This is the FEAST item, and equates to the copulate option in the real game.
- One of the things must be eaten (or used) at least once a week for the rest of their lives. This is the MARRY item.
- Finally, one of the things is gone forever starting immediately. This is the KILL item.
Just a few of the difficult decisions to be made: will Hugh kill off a spoon, knife, or fork as a utensil option? Is Rod ready to settle down and tie the know of marital bliss with pickles… or will it be a meaningless affair… or something even more devious – like MURDER!
Let’s start out with a simple fact – mud spelled backwards is really dum. Or is it? Huh?
In this episode, Hugh and Rod discuss things in the world of food that on the surface seem absolutely stupid, but upon further reflection… maybe they’re genius:
- Overly Dainty Desserts at Restaurants
- The Hydrox Cookie Comeback
- Chewing Gum
- Coca-Cola’s Scientists
- Supersize Me
- Diet Soda with Fast Food
- Hamburger Helper Rap Music
- Skittles Green Apple
- Subway Foot-long Controversies
- Hip Miracle Whip (of course)